As part of our commitment to supporting student wellbeing, we have invited Freedom from Chemical Dependency Prevention Works to visit the FIS community from November 7 to 9. The visit intends to supplement the work we do with students annually within the Middle and High School Advisory and health programs, on topics of substance abuse and healthy choices. A part of the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation, FCD is a non-profit organization that provides substance use prevention services to schools worldwide. Since 1976, they have taught over a million students of all ages. Their mission is to:
- Encourage and support the non-use of alcohol and other illegal or illicit drugs during the growing years
- Empower young people to make healthy, responsible choices regarding alcohol and other drug use
- Teach students and adults how to recognize the early warning signs of substance abuse and to intervene appropriately
- Educate students, parents, teachers, and administrators on the physiological and psychological effects of alcohol and other drugs
- Promote awareness of drug addiction, including alcoholism, as a progressive, chronic, and often fatal disease
- Provide educational communities with the guidance and training necessary to implement comprehensive, effective approaches to substance abuse prevention
FCD prevention specialists are highly trained professionals who have achieved healthy recovery from alcohol or other drug addictions. This unique perspective enhances the credibility of their message and provides students with role models for positive, healthy, drug-free living.
The FCD prevention specialist will facilitate a parent workshop on Thursday, November 8, from 17:30 to 19:00 in the Theater, to offer support and guidance for discussing alcohol and other drug-related issues with your children. Parents from all school sections are very welcome to attend. Some of the topics to be addressed include:
- Effective ways to communicate with your child about drugs and drug use
- Up-to-date facts about current drug use and trends
- What to say about your own experiences with alcohol and/or drug experimentation
- How to spot early warning signs of use/abuse and effective ways to respond
Please note that this evening event directly follows the High School Parent-Teacher Conferences that take place earlier in the day.
Our hope is that through these student, parent, and staff sessions, opportunities for positive dialogue and support are fostered.
Middle School Principal
Middle School Counselor
High School Principal
High School Counselor and Wellbeing Coordinator