With the beginning of the new school year, our FIS Sports Program (GISST) 2019-2020 also starts. The training sessions in Cross Country, Football and Varsity Volleyball will already begin next week. Our regular Badminton and Swimming training will have a later start mid of September.
To register your child to participate in the FIS Sports Program (GISST), please go to SchoolBase and click on the “Sports” icon. You can sign your child up for any sport regardless of the time of year the sport is offered.
Please note that during the regular season there are two training sessions per week (with exception of Swimming), and students are required to attend all of them (i.e. both scheduled team practices in one week).
You will receive an invoice at the end of the season for each sport category that you signed up for. Prices can be found on SchoolBase.
GISST Registration Fee
The GISST registration fee remains the same this school year, i.e. EUR 100 per sports category for a regular season, and EUR 37,50 for all pre-season activities. Due to a very short regular season, the registration fee for the U14 Volleyball will be EUR 60.
For a successful registration for any of the GISST sports categories, the following forms are required:
- FIS Athletic Agreement
- GISST Medical Release Form
- GISST Student Athlete Data Protection Agreement
The forms can be found on the Sports page. Please fill them out and return to Mrs. Fischer, either electronically at or as a hard copy, latest by September 13, 2019.
Housing Arrangements and Expectations
When students go to GISST tournaments they stay with families from hosting schools overnight. These families welcome students into their home, cook them dinner, provide a bed, breakfast in the morning and a packed lunch for the following day.
The FIS hosts two 2-day tournaments every school year. When we host a tournament, it is our responsibility to arrange housing for the student athletes from the visiting international schools. The same procedure takes place when the FIS teams go on tournaments and stay with local families at the hosting school.
Please note that the housing responsibility is mandatory for families with child(ren) involved in the GISST program. Like the other full member schools associated with the GISST, when we host a tournament we expect families with child(ren) involved in the program to accommodate guest student athletes. There is a clear list of rules and expectations for both host families and visiting students on the Sports page.
Some More GISST Related Information
Interschool (Grades 2 to 5)
GISST sporting events are only for students in Grades 5 to 12, however, there are two interschool competitions, which GISST organizes for our younger students in Grades 2 to 5 in Cross Country and Swimming. This year we are planning to enter a team in both of these events.
Interschool Cross Country – September 27 to 28, 2019 in Berlin
Interschool Swimming – May 15 to 16, 2020 in Berlin
Training is available for these sports and parents can sign students up for this via SchoolBase. The training will begin as follows:
- Interschool (Grades 2 to 5) Cross Country with coach Mr. Thomas Phillipson; Monday and Wednesday from August 26 to October 23, 15:45 to 16:45
- Interschool (Grades 2 to 5) Swimming, with coaches Ms. Alessia Prest, Mrs. Theresa Eckersley, Mr. Asger Soendberg and Mr. Christiaan Redelinghuys; always Fridays from September 20, 2019 to June 26, 2020, 14:30 to 15:15 or 15:15 to 16:00 at the university pool. Please note that this is for intermediate/advanced swimmers only. No beginner swimmers will be accepted to this course.
If you would like further details, please get in touch.
U14 and Varsity
Welcome back to all our sporty students! The fall season will start in the upcoming weeks, as follows:
- U14 Cross Country, Tuesday, August 27, 15:45 to 17:15 with Mrs. Christina Lohwasser
- Varsity Cross Country, Monday, September 2, 15:45 to 17:15 with Mrs. Carole Williamson
Football (please note the new training times at the SpVgg)
- U14 Girls, Monday, August 26, 15:45 to 17:15 with Ms. Julie Ann Chiodo
- U14 Boys, Monday, August 26, 15:45 to 17:15 with Mr. Derek Hyde
- Varsity Girls, Tuesday, August 27, 15:45 to 17:15 with Ms. Jacquelle Francis
- Varsity Boys, Tuesday, August 27, 15:15 to 17:15 with Mr. Christiaan Redelinghuys
- Varsity Girls, Tuesday, August 27, 16:00 to 17:30 with Mr. Adrian Haug (Try-outs)
- Varsity Boys, Tuesday, August 27, 16:00 to 17:30 with Mrs. Sirpa Hope
- U14 team, Monday, September 9, 16:00 to 17:30 with Mr. Daniel Paulini
- Varsity team, Monday, September 9, 16:00 to 17:30 with Mr. Elias Ruf
- U14 and Varsity team, Monday, September 16, 16:00 to 17:00 with Ms. Alessia Prest and Mr. Asger Soendberg
Hosting GISST Tournaments at the FIS
This school year we will be hosting two GISST tournaments here at the FIS:
Varsity Boys Football Division One, November 7 to 9, 2019
Varsity Girls Basketball, March 19 to 21, 2020
For all families involved in the GISST program and any other lovely families that like to help out, please keep these dates free!
We kindly ask all FIS families to help us with hosting visiting students for 2 nights. If you have any spare beds and are willing to help, please get in touch with our GISST housing coordinator Mrs. Chaveriat at
Please find more GISST information including the training and tournament schedules on the Sports page.
If you would like any further information or if you have any questions about the GISST program, please feel free to come and see me (room 2.007) or, alternatively, send me an email . I will also be available at the Elementary School and Middle School/High School Parent Information Nights.
The GISST program would not be possible without your support so a huge thank you in advance to everyone who is involved.