We would like to offer our students the opportunity to participate in the Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award scheme. The DofE is the world’s leading youth development program and is offered in over 140 countries. Since the Award’s inception in 1956, over 8 million young people have participated in the programme internationally. In 2022/2023, the FIS will offer only the Bronze award to Grades 9-12 inclusive and starting immediately.
The Award motivates young people to take on individual challenges outside of the academic school curriculum, guiding them along the way and recognizing their achievements.
Participation in the programme is possible between the ages of 14 and 24. The Bronze, Silver, and Gold levels require increasingly more time, commitment and personal responsibility in the following sections:
Participants choose their own activities, set personal goals and challenge themselves to achieve them, according to the motto: There is more in you than you think! This process of goal setting, implementation and reflection is accompanied by an Award Leader for a period of 6 – 18 months, depending on the program level.
Opportunities for Participants
- Experience of success and self-efficacy
- Recognition and appreciation of their personality in everyday school life
- Self-confidence and resilience
- Strengthening of democratic competences and social skills
- Assumption of social responsibility and commitment
- Self-perception and awareness of strengths and weaknesses
- New talents and skills
- Meaningful time planning and use
- Ability to learn from and give to others
- New friendships and relationships
- Ability to lead and work in a team
- Goal orientation and enjoyment of challenges
- Strengthening of the spirit of enterprise and adventure, enjoyment of nature experiences
- Receiving an internationally renowned award
For those who want to register their interest, please contact Mr. Simpson () or Mrs. Steinberg () to receive a signup form. Further information will be provided to students through Advisory, ManageBac and school newsletters. There will be a small registration fee for students to register with the organization. This allows access to the Online Record Book and also covers the cost of receiving the award assuming that requirements are met.